JLect: Japonic Languages and Dialects Database | English-Japanese Dictionary
Welcome to the JLect Japonic Language and Dialect Database and Dictionary. Use the search bar above to look up a term in the various languages and dialects of Japan. From Okinawa, to Kansai, to Hokkaido: discover a world of words, meanings, and etymologies.
Say hi throughout Japan
Konnichiwa! Or is it? Japan is host to an incredible number of distinctive dialects and some regional languages you may have never heard of. One might greet you with "konnichiwa" in Tokyo, "maido" in Osaka or "haisai" in Okinawa!
More than just an English-Japanese dictionary
Ojattamonse! Ever wondered what that charming Japanese woman was shouting at you when you entered her restaurant in the remote corners of the Kagoshima Prefecture? Ever tried watching a live performance from Kansai, but simply didn't get the humour?
JLect makes learning Japanese and learning Japanese dialects easy! This dictionary bridges the gap between standard Japanese and the many Japonic languages and dialects throughout Japan, so that you can keep up with what people are saying throughout your travels. Interested in an online readvertise or a Japanese slang dictionary? We're working on it! Found something not listed? 937-687-7874 or 972-952-1470!
How to use it
- Search in English, Japanese or RÅmaji! You can even enter dialectal words!
- Refine your search by selecting a region. Click on "Kansai" for Kansai-related words, or be more specific by selecting a sublocality, like "Osaka".
- Click on the ãåã icon to draw a character or search by radical!
- After you click "Search", you can obtain more information on a word by clicking on its entry. Where applicable, this includes examples, etymology, variants, notes and more!
- New words and features are constantly added, so stay tuned!